Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Long Day

I tried to sleep in this morning since R has left & K routinely sleeps 12 hours every night (we need to change this), but I could not sleep.  It seems that I am now missing more than just home...I miss R also.  Today is his birthday, so it is especially difficult to be separated from him. I think this is the first year since we have been together that we've not celebrated together.  Fortunately, some very good friends of ours, L & M, have taken him in for the evening & are preparing his favorite meal...fajitas!

So, once I was finally able to wake K this morning, we got ready to spend another day at the orphanage.  The days seem to be getting longer as we wait for her passport.  We are hoping to receive it on Monday or Tuesday, but we will be saying our goodbye's to everyone tomorrow, in hopes for a Monday delivery, so I thought that it would be a good idea for K to spend one last night at the orphanage with her friends; I needed an evening to myself anyway.  Of course, she was very concerned about me staying by myself...that I would be lonely, scared, or bored.  She even called me as soon as they returned to the house after dropping me off; she wanted to make sure I was ok.  (This scenario seems backward....isn't the parent the one that should be concerned when the child stays alone?)  She is most precious!

Several of the caretakers thought that today we would be saying goodbye to everyone, so even though they were not on the schedule to work, they all came anyway to see us off & give K her special presents.  Once they found out that she is staying the night there & I will be back tomorrow, they gave us hugs & kisses & promised to return tomorrow.  One of the caretakers started crying, which was like a domino effect; another started crying, then me, then a couple of the children.  It was time to leave.

I have no idea how to say goodbye to these most special souls.  Even though we're only bringing one of them home with us, we cannot help but to feel like 'mother & father' to all of them.  We have come to love them all in different ways.  One little girl told me tonight that K is getting a very special family.  It was too much for me. I started crying again.  This trip has changed me in ways I cannot explain and I almost feel guilty for leaving the rest of them behind.  Before we left on our journey, we were given the following piece of advice: "Enjoy every moment".  I can honestly say that what we have enjoyed most are these children!  When people have asked us if we like Ukraine, our first thought is of them & how much we have come to love them & enjoy their company. So tomorrow will be a difficult day for us, especially K.  Being her mom, my heart will be doubly sad...for myself, and for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment